Nightly News Roundup: 2011.05.04

Study shows mobile games make up half of all game downloads, Nintendo wants to know why you don’t have a 3DS yet, and an aural Easter egg in Skyward Sword’s trailer.

By Kevin Knezevic. Posted 05/04/2011 23:00 1 Comment     ShareThis

Nightly News Roundup

NPD Finds Mobile Games Make Up Half of All Game Downloads, Do Not Affect Console Playtime

A recent study conducted by the NPD has revealed that mobile games account for roughly half of all digital game downloads. This statistic includes every download service available on PCs and consoles as well as other devices, making mobile games the fastest-growing of the digital games market.

However, the study also indicates that the majority of the gamers polled– approximately 60 percent– spend, at the very least, the same amount of time they always had with console and portable games since they began downloading mobile ones. NPD’s industry analyst Anita Frazier had the following to say regarding these results:

“While there is clearly some substitution for spending on traditional forms of gaming among 40 percent of consumers, the majority of mobile consumers indicate that this spending is incremental to their spend on console or portable games, which makes sense since the games and devices provide for different types of gaming occasions and experiences.”

The study also shows that gamers still prefer to own physical games to digital ones. When given the choice between the two (assuming the title in question was the same price in both formats), 75 percent stated they would prefer to purchase the physical version because they enjoy owning an actual, tangible copy of a game. The remaining 25 percent cited convenience as the primary factor for their choice.

Source: IndustryGamers


New 3DS Survey for Some Club Nintendo Members

Select members of Club Nintendo have recently received a survey inquiring as to why they have yet to purchase and/or register a 3DS system. The participants in this survey are apparently being chosen at random, and only a limited number are being sent out. Certain members who have already registered the console have also received their own specialized survey, this one asking the participants to share their opinions on their experience with the portable.

The appearance of these surveys seems to give credence to all of the recent concerns surrounding the system’s performance at retail. President Iwata himself stated at the company’s recent investors meeting that the console has not met sales expectations, and it appears these surveys are an attempt by Nintendo to gauge consumer interest in the system and determine why it is currently under-performing.

Source: GoNintendo


Secret Song in Skyward Sword Trailer

At the Game Developers Conference this past March, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed a brand-new trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword during his keynote address. The trailer emphasized the title’s motion-enhanced combat, but most immediately striking about it was the beautiful score that accompanied the footage.

Recently, however, YouTube user FPawesome1 discovered that the piece so many thought was an original composition was in actuality “Zelda’s Lullaby” played backwards. Zelda fansite Zelda Universe has uploaded a backmasked version of the trailer on its YouTube channel to demonstrate this discovery, including the original immediately afterward for reference.

Source: Zelda Universe

One Response to “Nightly News Roundup: 2011.05.04”

  • 57 points
    Urie says...

    No surprise that mobile gaming is the fastest growing segment of the industry: welcome to two years ago, NPD!

    I have to think that the 3DS survey is more of a PR move than anything: I’m pretty sure that Nintendo knows why their device isn’t selling: Iwata-san more or less walked through that at the shareholder’s meeting.

    As far as the music goes…well, some people have too much time on their hands. (No offense meant, FPawesome1).

    Thumb up 0

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Log In 0 points Log in or register to grow your Ninja Score while interacting with our site.
Nintendojo's RSS Feeds

All Updates Podcast
News Comments
Like and follow usFacebookTwitter Friend Code Exchange + Game with Us Join the Team!