For some Wii owners, backwards compatibility is a big draw for the Wii U. With launch day just over a week away, details on how to transfer data have emerged.
The process is similar to the one used to transfer download data from the DS XL to the 3DS, so those familiar with that process will have a bit of an easier time. Here’s a breakdown of what we know so far:
- Both the Wii and Wii U must be running on two TVs or different inputs on the same TV
- Insert a 512MB or higher SD card into the Wii U
- On the Wii U, enter the Wii Menu app and run the Wii System Transfer application
- When prompted, move that SD card into the original Wii
- On the Wii, download and run a transfer application from the Wii Shop
- After the data has been moved to the SD card, switch it back to the Wii U
- At this point, the data will be moved to the Wii U and deleted from the SD card.
The process will transfer save data, Virtual Console and Wiiware content, DLC, Activity records, Wii Shop points and Mii characters.
It’s also important to note that, like the 3DS transfer, once these items have been moved, there’s no going back.