Nintendo announced today a new application for the 3DS called Swapdoodle, which you can download right now off the eShop.
Swapdoodle allows users to write messages, draw 3D pictures, and share them with friends. Not only that, but you can also take drawing lessons featuring Nintendo characters from franchises like Zelda, Super Mario, and Splatoon. Screenshots from certain games can also be shared to your friends through the app. The press release for the game sets out some of the features that you can expect:
- Swap messages and doodles with your Nintendo 3DS™ friends
- Purchase add-ons packs to enhance your doodles and learn to doodle Nintendo characters
- Take doodle lessons featuring characters from Splatoon, the Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, and more!
- Draw 3D doodles on 2 layers
- Place a sticker of your Mii character’s face with different emotions
- Send in-game screenshots from select titles
Swapdoodle is free to download, but users can purchase additional doodle lesson packs for other characters if they so choose.
The new app is reminiscent of Swapnote, which was discontinued back in 2013 due to offensive messaging being shared. Nintendo will surely use the lessons that it learned from Swapnote (and of course from Miiverse) for this latest app, and it would be surprising if Swapdoodle met a similar fate to it. For fans of Swapnote though, Swapdoodle will be a welcome surprise.
Will you be trying out Swapdoodle? Share your thoughts on the 3DS’s latest message sharing app below.