These guys sure kept us waiting didn’t they? Nintendo president and master unboxer Saturu Iwata released a new Nintendo Direct last week detailing all of the Nintendo Network features on Wii U. Now, we have a version of that video in English! Nintendo Treehouse member and rising star Bill Trinen gave us all the sexy details. Some information that has been known, such as Miiverse features, were discussed, but there was also a lot of new stuff. Here’s the short list version of the new information:
- The Wii U will have user accounts for different people who use the system. Up to 12 user accounts can be made. Save data and play information are tied to these accounts.
- Friend Codes are gone, and using Wii U online will require a new Nintendo Network ID. Getting one is free and just requires some information.
- Using network features will require an update to be performed once the Wii U is connected to the internet.
- Miiverse will feature a spoiler tag system to prevent users from seeing spoilers they don’t want to see.
- Miiverse will be compatible with every single Wii U game on a system level.
- All developers will be free to include Miiverse features within their games. An example of a feature was comments appearing on screen when a player dies in New Super Mario Bros. U
- Nintendo Land will feature a plaza where player characters can interact via Miiverse without leaving the game.
- The Wii U internet browser and universal television remote features opened without ending a game you are currently playing.
- Nintendo staff like to stare at fruit.
Some very cool stuff, no? Wii U is going to be all about seamless play and interaction, which is great! Watch the entire presentation below to get the specifics and check out some demonstration videos from the Japanese Nintendo Direct.