If there was any doubt that Nintendo was the uncontested king of the Land of the Rising Sun, Media Create has put together a top 30 list of Japan’s bestselling games of 2012 that proves just how dominant the Big N was in its homeland last year.
Taking the top spot on the list were Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2, the latest installments in Nintendo’s perennial franchise. Combined, the two games have sold through 2,919,977 copies since their release last June. If that wasn’t enough, coming in at numbers two and three were Animal Crossing: New Leaf and New Super Mario Bros. 2, which sold 1,969,955 and 1,743,791 copies, respectively, throughout 2012. Animal Crossing in particular pulled some impressive numbers considering it only just launched in November, selling nearly two million units in a little over a month’s time.
The rest of the top ten has been included below. Titles that have been released on Nintendo platforms are demarcated in bold. The full list can be found at the link at the bottom of the page.
- Pokémon Black 2/Pokémon White 2 (Nintendo DS) – 2,919, 977
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo 3DS) – 1,969,955
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo 3DS) – 1,743,791 copies
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry’s Wonderland 3D (Nintendo 3DS) – 919,870
- Resident Evil 6 (PlayStation 3) – 833,012
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors (PlayStation 3) – 828,150
- Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo 3DS) – 748,797
- Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo 3DS) – 689,374
- Mario Party 9 (Wii) – 641,348
- Dragon Quest X (Wii) – 609,783